The Central Highlands is more than you expect. It is a region of continuous growth and the centre for a diverse range of investment, business, career and lifestyle opportunities in Central Queensland, Australia.
The Central Highlands is located in Central Queensland, Australia, extending over 60,000 square kilometres. It encompasses the communities and surrounding rural areas of Arcadia Valley, Bauhinia, Blackwater, Bluff, Capella, Comet, Dingo, Duaringa, Emerald, Rolleston, Sapphire Gemfields (Anakie, Sapphire, Rubyvale and Willows Gemfields), Springsure and Tieri and the Tropic of Capricorn runs laterally through the region.
A significant portion of Australia’s largest coal reserve, the Bowen Basin, sits in the Central Highlands and it is also neighbour to the Galilee Basin, described as Australia’s new mining province. The Central Highlands is rich in minerals and agriculture, with irrigation from water storage on the Nogoa and Comet rivers, and boasts the largest sapphire-producing fields in the Southern Hemisphere.
Major freight routes are contained in the Central Highlands region, including the north-south link between Charters Towers and northern New South Wales, which has been identified as an inland alternative between Cairns and Melbourne.
Central Highlands is a prosperous and vibrant region which has a diverse economy based on:
- A globally competitive coal mining industry, with continuing expansions and developments.
- Traditionally robust and resilient agriculture and horticultural industries, including beef, grain, cotton, grapes, melons and citrus.
Dynamic small to medium size businesses.
- Professional and government sectors.
- Availability of commercial, industrial and residential land.
- A growing tourism market.
- Major health and education services.
- Billion dollar infrastructure and construction projects.
For maps and more information about the resources and energy industry see the Queensland Government Natural Resources and Mines website or the CHDC website – chdc.com.au. The CHDC website also contains a wealth of useful resources for the Rural sector.